Spring Drain Cleaning and Plumbing Maintenance
Time for spring drain cleaning!
Make sure all your systems are ‘go' for the wet months with these drain cleaning and plumbing maintenance tips:
- Check faucets for drips and leaks and make repairs to conserve water.
- Ensure drains have strainers to prevent clogging.
- Check toilet tanks and bowls for cracks.
- Check toilets for hidden leaks by and adding six drops of food colouring to your toilet tank. If leaks are present, colour will appear in the bowl within 30 minutes.
- Exercise water supply valves under sinks and toilets to prevent sticking.
- Clean mineral deposits from your shower head by soaking it in vinegar. Secure a plastic bag filled with vinegar over it and let it soak overnight. Scrub with a toothbrush to remove deposits.
- Repair toilets that require holding the handle down or jiggling it to get a thorough flush. They likely have worn parts, and replacing these parts will save you money on your water bill.
- Check dishwasher, washing machine and ice maker supply hoses for bulges or leaks. Replace hoses over 10 years old, or if they show signs of weakness.
- Pour a gallon of water into infrequently used drains to fill the trap and prevent odours. Slow drains should be snaked to ensure they can carry water quickly in case of a flood.
- Check exposed basement pipes for leaks.
- If your home has a sump pump, test it by pouring a few buckets of water into the sump pit. The pump should quickly turn on, discharge the water, and shut off without problems.
- Install a back-flow valve in the floor drain to prevent sewer backups.
- Install flood alarms to alert you at the first signs of flooding.
- Ensure yard drains, gutters and downspouts are cleaned out, open, and free of debris.
- Check for bird nests in plumbing vent pipes.
- Check faucets and hose bibs to ensure water flows freely.
Need an expert?
If you need assistance with your spring drain cleaning or plumbing maintenance for your Richmond, Delta, or Vancouver home, contact PJB Mechanical.
Call us today at 604-940-2268
Throughout our years of service in Vancouver, Richmond and Delta, we’ve found that many people have the same questions for their local plumbing and heating experts. Have a look at these frequently asked questions for more household plumbing and heating tips.
Looking for Expert Service?
At PJB Mechanical, we’re committed to prompt emergency response.
Call us today at 1-604-940-2268 or book a service appointment.